Project Title: Curriculum Reform for Promoting Civic Education and
Democratic Principles in Israel and in Georgia (CURE)
Project Number: Project reference Number: 573322-EPP-1-2016-IL-EPPKA2-CBHE-JP
Institutional Coordinator at TSU: Department of Education Sciences at the Faculty of Psychology and Education Sciences, Dr. Izabella Petriashvili, Associate Professor
Project Duration: 36 months, 2016-2019
Project Partners: Israeli Partners: Gordon Academic College of Education, Sakhnin Academic College, David Yellin Academic College, Academic College of Education Givat Washington, Sapir Academic College,The Heschel Center for Sustainability.
Georgian Partners: Ilia State University, Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, Samtskhe-Javakheti State University, Shota Rustaveli State University (Batumi), Kutaisi University, Civic Development Institute (NGO).
European Partners: University of Education Upper Austria (Austria, Paris-Lodron-University of Salzburg (Austria), Canterbury Christ Church University (United Kingdom), Tallin University (Estonia), Jagiellonian University (Poland), Jaan Tõnissoni Instituut (NGO, Estonia)
CURE is a multi-faceted program for curricular reform that aims to improve the level of curriculum for Civic Education and Principles of Democracy in teacher-training programs in Israel and in Georgia through: developing new courses, faculty training workshops, student leadership training, student activities, establishing Civic Education Centers at CUREs Israeli and Georgian universities and colleges.
CURE’s specific objectives are:
- Developing collaboratively five innovative courses: Global Challenges in the 21st Century in Promoting Active Citizenship and Civic Education; Civic Education for Sustainability; Promoting Active Citizenship; Civic Education and Democracy in Israel: challenges and pathways; Civic Education and Democracy in Georgia: challenges and pathways.
- Faculty Training Workshops and mentoring that will empower Israeli and Georgian faculty to promote active citizenship and democracy through providing them with knowledge, tools and pedagogical skills.
- Providing student leaders with skills through workshops to design and implement civic activities on campus and create civic action clubs or centers at their institutions.
- Running in-service teacher workshops that provide them with tools to establish civic action clubs at their schools.
- Establishing platform for online collaboration (portal): https://cure.erasmus-plus.org.il/
For CURE activities please visit CURE’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1864512057094561/